View Single Post
Old 08-01-2023, 07:35 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by PB from MN View Post
I am on our local county fair board and I also judge other fairs in Open Class and 4-H. First of all thank you for entering. I hear so many people say that there is nothing to look at and at the same time find out that they do not enter anything. If you want a fair, people need to enter items.
I don't know your categories and rules so here are a few ideas: a classic from scratch Angel Food cake, chiffon cake, any flavor of a layer cake, petit fours.
Good luck and thank you for entering.
Thank you for those words of encouragement and cake ideas. I appreciate your inside knowledge about entering the fair. I hope that others will be inspired to enter their local fair too.

Some areas of the fair are full of entries, while others are not. I don't know why. At least I won't have a lot of competition in the Baked Goods department...LOL. I've only entered once before and I got a second place ribbon. The judge said that my cake tasted good and she was so glad that I displayed it on a cake stand, but I didn't present the sliced piece of cake correctly. I just didn't know any better and the instructions are minimal and vague. I hope that I get it right this time. I'm also going to embellish the cake a little more...get fancier in my decorating and frosting techniques. In other words, I'm going to try a little bit harder this time around.

I'm testing the lemon cake recipe today and tomorrow; making the sponge today and the frosting and decorating tomorrow. I'm only doing 2 layers for the test, but plan to make a 3 layer cake for the competition. It's too expensive to test the big version every time. I'm on WW, so most of the cake will be sent to my dau and her hubby. I'm just going to try a small sliver. Wish me luck.