View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 04:14 AM
tropit

So...yesterday was quite a day. I started testing this recipe for Lemon Cake: https://www.wellplated.com/wprm_print/33566/

I read through the instructions several times and read many of the comments from other readers. I hung my oven thermometer in the oven and preheated the oven to exactly 350 degrees F for about an hour before the cake pans were put in it. I used only the freshest ingredients and made sure that they were added at room temperature. I baked it for exactly the amount stated in the recipe and I didn't open the door. I tested the layers and they were moist, but not gooey....just perfect. In other words, I followed the recipe to the word.

The cake sponges came out OK. I think that they could have risen a bit more than they did, but the texture was soft and airy. This recipe does not call for any egg yolks and I feel that it was missing that component. The sponge was kind of like that of an Angel Food cake...white and fluffy on the inside, with brown, slightly tough, "crust" on the edges. It also did not have that much lemon flavor. I wasn't impressed.

But here's where it got interesting...When I made the sponges, the weather was pleasantly warm outside and the house was cool. However, the weather started to change and it became cloudy, smokey (fire up north of us,) and the house became quite warm and muggy from having the oven on all morning. I made the mistake of going ahead with the frosting of the cake. The frosting was lovely...very light and fluffy, especially for a cream cheese frosting, but because of the heat, it started to get a little soft. I should have put it back in the fridge for a few minutes, but I was almost done, so I went for it.

I frosted the cake and the frosting was getting everywhere. As I was wiping down the edges of the plate, there must have been some melting frosting on the bottom of the plate, because the plate of cake just took on a life of its own and spun right off of the counter, flipping, top down, plate up and landed on my Roomba that was passing by. The Roomba then carried it a few feet, where the cake then slid right off and on to the floor. The scene was so crazy and comical...I didn't know whether to laugh, or cry. I picked up the cake, which had separated itself from that thin, brown crust on the top of the cake, so only the frosting had touched the ground. I refrosted it and served it to my husband that evening. He ate almost the entire cake!

I'm trying a different recipe today: https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/lemon-cake-recipe/

Last edited by tropit; 08-02-2023 at 04:16 AM.