View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 07:39 AM
OurWorkbench

Default August 2023 Colorado Sewing Machine Get-Together - Part 1

Late summer in Colorado has seen the disappearance of our unusually wet start to summer and has given way to the typically hot weather that one would expect, perhaps even unusually warm this year.

For our August posting, we have notes and pictures from several of our members. We'll start with James.

James

James tells us about a recent acquisition that he made:

After a bit of time without any new acquisitions, I noticed a nicely priced Elna Grasshopper with a case on eBay at a buy it now price. It did not come with any accessories but I had purchased another caseless Elna Grasshopper that included an original tray with many accessories several years ago. The only real issue with the recent purchase is that the light housing is broken. I have not tested to see if the bulb socket still works since it did not come with a bulb. Even if it does not work, I have six of the original Jansco LED lights from IKEA that will be perfect. (The lights were for a macrophotography shooting project hence the number of lamps!) The little gaskets that help hold the sewing machine to the case are a bit crumbled in spots because of age. I am thinking I can use backer rod to reinforce the crumbling gaskets.

This machine dates from May 1952 and runs more smoothly than my prior Grasshopper. I will be placing the accessory tray with feet and the speed reducer gear with the case so it will be mostly complete except for the oil cans which I do not have. In any case I now have an example of a case that I can try to duplicate with some other material for the caseless Elna.

James

james-image0.jpeg

james-image1.jpeg

james-image2.jpeg

james-image3.jpeg

james-image4.jpeg

... to be continued