View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 04:24 PM
SadieSews89

Unhappy Setting Up Machine for Frame Use

Good evening all,

I am a memory quilt maker (quite by accident) and I have a large order of quilts to complete this month. I have an older Grace frame I lucked into for $65, and I have the option of using my standard brother machine, an vintage standard machine, or purchasing a machine (up to around 1500USD) for the frame. I've considered the Juki TL2000QI, and the Juki 2010Q machines, but even with those I have the following dilemma:

How on earth are they set up to quilt on a frame??

I've searched for hours now- videos, articles, reviews of machines and frames. But no one gives basic set up for using a more basic machine on a quilt frame. Feed dogs up or down? tension? other things I'm sure I'm not thinking about? I can get a machine on the frame, I know how to get the quilt sandwich on there, but every attempt I've made has led to giant nests of thread. I'm open to possibly buying other accessories if required, but I will make no money on these quilts if I keep sending them to be quilted by the local longarmer (though her work is beautiful!) Please help??

Thank you,

Sadie