View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 10:06 PM
quiltedsunshine

There are a couple basics that may help.

First, make sure the machine is threaded correctly -- top and bottom. And that you're using the correct bobbin for your machine.

Always hold the thread tails when you start.

Make sure the quilt sandwich is resting on the throat plate, not too high or too low. Some frames have the "dead bar" that holds them in the correct position, other frames need the height adjusted as the quilt is rolled.

Always stitch from left to right -- when you stitch right to left, the physics causes nesting threads.

You'll need to get comfortable with adjusting your tensions -- top and bottom. What type of Brother machine do you have? If the bobbin is a drop-in bobbin, and the tension screw is sealed with paint, you won't be able to do much with the tension.

Use a quality polyester thread -- poly has a little stretch, that behaves better than cotton for free-motion. I prefer So Fine by Superior Thread. It blends in better than thicker threads, so my mistakes don't show as much. If you're using a thread stand, you need to tape a paper clip to the back of your machine, and feed the thread through it before it goes into the tension, to keep if from popping out of the tension.

Feed dogs can be up or down. Some of us like the feed dogs up because it gives a rhythm to keep speed with.

Those Juki TL Series machines are great! But on a frame, you only get about 6" of space to work on. You might do better without the frame. Just a thought....

You also might do better with a walking foot. I do some of my best quilting with a walking foot.

Loosen the presser foot tension, so you can move the machine freely, but not so loose that the presser foot slams.

Use a larger needle. Most of us use a size 90/14 or 100/16. Make sure it's inserted correctly and pushed all the way up.

There's some basics. I hope something there is useful.

Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 08-02-2023 at 10:12 PM.