View Single Post
Old 08-29-2023, 06:35 AM
Iceblossom

Default Book Recommendations Wanted!

Sadly I am still troubled by chronic insomnia and once again I come asking for book suggestions as I typically go through about 3 per week. I have vision issues and so listen to audio books, it is amazing how many books are now released on audio at the same time as hardcover as opposed to 20 years ago. Recently I was looking at quilting themed t-shirts and there was one something about "if I could only find a way to combine reading and quilting my life would be perfect" -- well audio books do that!

I find new books/authors in many ways but I really like quilter recommendations. I don't mind short stories but want longer reads than snippets like "Chicken Soup for the xx". I am willing to explore pretty much all genres but do a lot of "action" like Clive Cussler or Lee Child/Jack Reacher and legal/cop/courtroom like Michael Connolly. I dabble in some horror, some biographies and non-fiction, find prolonged "adult content" to be rather icky in audible format. I also like strong female/feminist stories (more than non-fiction). There are cozy mysteries I enjoy, sewing/quilting themed, on and on but new books or missed old favorites are out there too

In the last couple of years I'm current with CJ Box and Game Warden Joe Pickett. Just this last year I found William Kent Kruger and (former sheriff) Cork O'Connor, almost done with the available books there. I stopped reading Alex Delaware novels when my eyes went bad and am going back to those... talk about prolific authors Johnathon Kellerman along with wife/partner Faye is one of those so I have 10-20 unread ones in the series

In no particular order, some of the books I've found recently that made impressions on me were:

The Physicists Daughter by Mary Anna Evans,I also like her Kaye Longchamp series
Chronicles of St Mary's (series) by Jodi Taylor -- time traveling historians
The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet -- series by Becky Chambers, also Monk + Robot series
When Women were Dragons, Kelly Barnhill
Gilded Age, Sara Donati -- I really liked her wilderness series, this is a different set of stories
Lessons in Chemistry, Bonnine Garmus

So what's made an impression on you??