View Single Post
Old 08-29-2023, 01:29 PM
Iceblossom

Some great recommendations for me! Audio books are not for everyone. they take longer for me to listen to than my reading speed, narrators and/or narration style can give you another reason to like or dislike books, and I've really grown to dislike "long silly name" fantasy books. As a long time reader of fantasy books, I find a lot of them just don't do so well when narrated and I don't appreciate 50 pages of the planet's history and social organization full of names that don't really have anything to do with the story once they get to it. Having said that, I do still listen to long fantasy books and series. If only George RR Martin would actually finish the Game of Thrones...

I do read a lot of the Nordic authors, I do have an upcoming Jo Nesbo book on hold (pre-release) but I haven't finished the Harry Hole books, probably haven't finished the Wallender books by Mankell either. I think the new author for "The Girl with" books is fine (original author passed) and read them as they come out. I think I'm confused between Camilla Lackberg and Sara Blaedel -- one set of characters/author I really like and haven't been as happy with the other.

Preston/Child books both as individual authors and together with Special Agent Pendergast are a big favorite. I am current on Pendergast and have Preston's newest non-fiction book The Lost Tomb on hold as pre-release.

As sort of a combination of Pendergast and Jack Reacher, I like Jonathan Maberry's Joe Ledger books. But with more of a Stephen King style, I really recommend his Pine Deep Trilogy.

Sadly my library doesn't have much Kyla Stone I can look on Audible to see if they have more options for me.

I do like the Dana Stabenow books, sadly I am current with them. Along with Joe Pickett and Cork O'Connor I also like Paul Doiron's Mike Bowditch books, about a game warden in Maine. For another "outdoor" series, I rather like Kelley Armstrong's Rockton series. Have some quibbles about the landscape which sounds a lot more like the rain forests of British Columbia than the forests of the Yukon, but once I get past that I'm generally favorable and I've started reading her other books.