View Single Post
Old 09-02-2023, 06:04 AM
Iceblossom

I loved early Stephen King but I stopped reading him after awhile, it seemed like each book went along well for 350 pages and then there was some explosion and time to wrap up the story in a quick 50 pages... I think it's time to go back for his later works. I did read 11/22/63 (about JFK assassination) recently and found it fascinating.

I listened to Dolly Parton Songteller, My Life in Lyrics which I don't think is the one aashley was referring to (different author credit). It was interesting listening anyway, but you felt like you were sitting chatting with her. I've always been a big fan of Dolly and her abilities. Maybe I should see if there is something on Audio about Charo aka The Cuchie Cuchie girl -- she was a fabulous flamenco guitarist with a similar persona.

The problem with prolific authors and some series is you are bound to be getting a dude here and there. I really enjoyed the Beekeepers Apprentice and several of the earlier stories about Mary Russell/Mrs Sherlock but I'm thinking maybe I am done with those. As I wrote this thread I was listening to Pirate King book 11 of 16, it just wasn't doing much for me. For those familiar with the books, are there gems ahead of me??

And speaking of Bees, I did listen to Onebyone's recommendation of The Bees. While the hubby sleeps through most of my insomnia listening, he liked what he heard enough to borrow the book himself! In another coincidence of timing he found a local small farm near our new house that has free range chicken eggs and they keep bees too

Next up is the first of the Longmire books -- library estimated it would be 3 weeks before a copy was available but it turned out to be 3 days!