View Single Post
Old 09-03-2023, 06:22 AM
Iceblossom

First off, I started the Longmire books last night. From the first writing/narration I was drawn in. I haven't seen the tv series yet, I think maybe I thought it was a Yellowstone spin-off -- not that there is anything wrong with that.

Pam S -- while Audible (through amazon prime) gives you a couple books a month, check what you might have via your public library or maybe even school system. My old system has a very large number of YA (young adult) and children's books, down to very low reading level. I think some people use some of those instead of rereading some of those for the 1000th time for the kids that really enjoy 1000 times, the kids can "read" along with the physical copy.

Keep in mind a lot of the YA books still include talking animals or faeries (Harry Potter or the Redwall series by Brian Jacques come to mind as having broad appeal). There are also tons and tons of (fantasy) series about teens discovering they have super powers, not exactly super powers but the Hunger Games books are popular because they tell a good involving story. Many classics are also available as audio.

Stitchnripper -- I'll have to check out Kristen Hannah, especially check into Audible to see if Firefly Lane (the first one, the second is available in my library). The story is set in exactly my growing up years, as I say while condsidered to be the end of the boomers, my age group is exactly That 70s Show. I did put one of the other books on my wish list. I've previously recommended the Wilderness series by Sara Donati -- it skirts perilously close to be Historical Romance as opposed to Historical Fiction but I found it very satisfying -- it takes characters from The Last of the Mohicans/Leatherstocking tales and spins a rich yarn of early-pre-American states.

Other mentions -- Peace Like a River sounds fascinating. My library has 3 books by the author, I put Peace on my wish list and Virgil Wander on hold, should be available in a week or three.

I'll have to look more into Fredrick Backman, so far all I've read is the novella The Deal of a Lifetime. Thanks for the mention!

I have read several of Shari Lapena, and have been exposed to Linwood Barclay through a short story collection.called Face Off where several pairs of authors collaborate on stories where their main characters meet. If you're a mystery fan who also likes short stories it's a fun romp of not just fan fiction but actual authors meeting up.

Somewhat related, I've gone through most??/all of Lucy Foley. Not related at all but it came to mind while writing this, it took me a little to get in to it, but I loved and highly recommend The Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley. It is a bit stark for YA, but the heroine is a Native American girl in Michigan at the crossroads of high school and college and all sorts of good and bad stuff going on around her.
https://nativenewsonline.net/arts-en...-all-time-list