View Single Post
Old 09-13-2023, 05:35 AM
Iceblossom

Kingsolver is a great author, haven't read much of her in years. In researching Demon Copperhead I found out it won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction (and is on Oprah's book club list) which pretty much ensures that I will like it -- not that Susie's recommendation isn't enough. It is on hold, expected wait time close to 3 months... I also have Animal Vegetable Miracle on hold which will be a shorter time. That non-fiction is basically part of what we are trying to do with our move.

We are getting lots of recommendations for Kristin Hannah -- I want to start with Firefly Lane, which is not available in audio form from my current library but is through Amazon/Audible. I might check out the tv series on Netflix.

I have read Mexican Gothic which I enjoyed -- apparently a series is being made of that too!

After the first Longmire book, from this thread I listened to The Thirteenth Tale -- which I found very satisfying. It reminded me in some ways of Possession, by A.S. Byatt which is one of the last books I physically read. Highly recommend it.. not an "easy" read I don't know how well it would go in audio -- again, my library doesn't have it in that format but Audible does.

Current book (author from this list) is Virgil Wander by Leif Enger.

Next up will be The Crane Husband by Kelly Barnhill, who wrote When Women were Dragons. I am familiar with the folktale of the Crane Wife, this should be interesting. Have to say I didn't really enjoy her short story collection, Dreadful Young Ladies. But it shows an author examining some themes which is interesting on its own -- but if you've read When Women were Dragons the short stories seem more like ideas/edited out of the other book.

A lot of my reading order is more about when things come off hold, not necessarily from my interest level. Also just off hold is Cave 13, the latest Joe Ledger book by Jonathan Maberry which I put on hold as a prerelease a couple of months ago.