View Single Post
Old 09-20-2023, 06:25 AM
Iceblossom

Default Not exactly recipes -- but regional food

It has been interesting here in the Midwest, there are so many things that I take for granted as being easy to find in the Seattle region that are largely not here in Peoria. I'm not talking brands but specific items especially in terms of fresh produce and spices. For example, when I do see tomatillos here it isn't a big bin, if they are present at all it is about the roughly 2 pounds I use for one batch of Salsa Verde. Haven't seen a single Napa Cabbage at the regular grocery stores, the ethnic specialty stores or the farmer's markets.

Likewise, there are common things here that I just didn't know existed and some things that I just didn't see all that often.
I've been trying little deli servings of things on markdown, for example "Sandwich Spread" which seems to be ground bologna with miracle whip and pickle relish. Never saw "ham salad" in the deli case before being here, sometimes hubby can explain things to me having come from Michigan

From you Mid-westerners, or just regional food fans, what should I be looking for or what regional favorites do you have to share?

BTW, I did have my first Horseshoe Sandwich. Is basically a sandwich without any "salad" but with fries and cheese sauce, many different variations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_sandwich

PS: Culvers as a chain restaurant is new to me,but is a family favorite on the hubby's side.