View Single Post
Old 09-23-2023, 09:34 AM
Iceblossom

Book Reports:

I liked the Crane Husband much more than the short stories, and in some ways more than the When Woman were Dragons The author (Kelly Barnhill) is certainly exploring a theme roughly shortened to "mothers fly away". I'm not sure if I'm interested in following any more of her explorations and will think before automatically selecting her next (if any) book. But it lead me to a lot of thinking about things like who is an author writing for -- themselves or an audience? Why am I done with this set of explorations when other writers and indeed entire genres are just writing and rewriting the same story.

Speaking of which Jonathan Maberry and Joe Ledger. I did enjoy the latest offering. They are very graphic in terms of violence and situations and not for everyone.

Just finished (as of last night) Peace Like a River by Leif Enger, recommended in this thread. Enjoyed the lyrical fantasy of the story, much like Big Fish by Daniel Wallace. As a non-believer, the Christian imagery was certainly strong but not annoying -- it was part of the story and necessary.

This morning I started The Enemy at Home by Kevin O'Brien. A story set in Seattle just after Pearl Harbor. Haven't gotten very far but so far the physical setting and narrator are correct. Forgetting now what the book was, but one Seattle-set book kept referring to Alki (all KI) as (al-key) and it was really annoying... For a similar time period book, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford was a good story about some difficult times/subject.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_...tter_and_Sweet

Next up, fresh off hold, the first of another new-to-me author suggested in this thread, The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah, which is set in Alaska in 1974 with a 13 year old (female) protagonist. I was 14 in 1974 and lived in Anchorage where the joke was "Anchorage -- only minutes from Alaska. So again, I will have a certain amount of background in common although we were living in the city such as it was.

Oh, and Hubby and I have been watching the Longmire series via netflix. I have some quibbles with it but hubby enjoys some of Longmire's quips.