View Single Post
Old 09-27-2023, 04:33 AM
Iceblossom

For one book that I find the TV better is Call the Midwife. Maybe because I'm so invested with the residents of Poplar after years of the show...

This morning I finished The Great Alone by Kristen Hannah. It turned out to be a very personal book for me, I was somewhat unprepared for the theme/amount of domestic violence that permeates the book, however that is not a part of my own story. I would hesitate to recommend this to someone who might be triggered by the discussions. However, my own father was (like that of the protagonist) a Viet Nam war veteran who had his own issues from being part of the war. We even had a VW Bus, in 1970 we (2 adults, 2 children, and 2 cats) traveled from our posting in Kansas to outside of Anchorage along the AlCan highway in the VW bus. I am very familiar with the area the story is set in and with what we called back then "survivalists" as opposed to the more modern term of preppers. I am still digesting the impact of the book and feel the need to call my BFF from High School who after moving to the Kenai Peninsula has been back in Anchorage for the last decade or so... will have to wait for the time zone/a decent time to call.

ps: If I have time to edit, I had read every book mentioned and understood all the references like "elephant bells" for pants. With my vision issues I didn't move many books but I still have a Robert Service collection of poetry.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-27-2023 at 04:46 AM.