View Single Post
Old 10-03-2023, 07:39 AM
Gemm

That is so disheartening - I'm sorry you've had that experience. :-( I've not made all that many quilts but have been fortunate in having most of them appreciated, at least for the first little while. All of my baby quilts have been I Spy quilts (rather busy ones because I want them to grow with the child) and I enjoy sharing some game prompts with the recipients (or gifters if I'm making for a friend who's anticipating a grandchild, for example). I have also been known to refer to them as "activity mats" to show that I'm hoping they will be used/worn out rather than treated like museum pieces. :-)

One of the first gift-worthy quilts I made was for my grandmother for her 95th birthday. When she died, none of the family in the old country seemed to want the quilt and it was sent back to me. I was grateful - it is draped over a chair in my bedroom and is a reminder of the relationship we had, even though we lived far apart.

I do have to wonder whether the recipients of your quilts truly understand how much love, money and effort goes into making a single quilt. Perhaps your generosity has spoiled them. :-(