View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 PM
roselady

Originally Posted by mar32428
I inherited my Centenial Featherweight from GM to mother to me. The machine had been stored for years and the case was very musty. I did the newspaper thing, outdoor sun, dryer sheets and finally Fabreeze. THe fabreeze did the best job but not all the smell is gone. I don't store the machine in the case anymore. Also I leave the case opened all the time and give it a couple of shots of Fabreeze about once a week. It helps but don't think anything will really work except ripping out the case lining which I may do and reline it. I know, I know, don't change an antique. It will destroy its top value but I don't plan on selling it.
I was given a FW that smells bad. I took the oil pad out, made a new one with felt, that really helped the machine. The case though is still stinky. I researched and found a guy who after trying everything couldn't get the smell out so he took all the black "fake leather" or fabric or whatever they are covered in, off. He then bleached the wood, sanded and refinished the box. They were beautiful. I know the value may be less because it isn't original but the value won't be good anyway if they stink. At least it would be useable for yourself. I might end up doing that.