View Single Post
Old 10-24-2023, 05:20 PM
Beautywithin

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Well, I have a GS here holding my hand and working me through this process. We have looked up everything we could find on a sewing machine that was given to me last weekend by my cousin at our family reunion.

According to what we find, it is a 1938 Commander and I think I read something else that might mean it is a Singer clone. But to find this information, the little tag inside the machine shows it to be a Sears (117.300) (26770).

The tension seems a little tight, but I did get it adjusted enough to make a couple of quilt squares. It is very quiet and smooth, but HEAVY doesn't even begin to describe the machine. I have to call in a man to get it moved from Point A to Point B. It is in a rounded wood carrying case, but the handle is still intact. I get worried though, every time someone picks it up, because of the weight of machine inside of it. It has a veneer finish on the outside of the cabinet, so that makes me think it is real wood, rather than make-believe type wood of so many of today's wood products.
I just acquired this exact machine. No manual. Can you help me with threading? What type of needle and how to seat the needle (position)? And what type of bobbin? I’m super stupid about antique machines, but this one called my name…