View Single Post
Old 11-13-2023, 05:51 AM
tropit

So, I asked the hubby to pick up some wine for me last week and he decided to try something new,instead of getting what I asked for.

:::sigh:::

I did not know how bad a wine can be until I tried this one. I took 2 sips and that was it. I could not drink anymore. This was a Pinot Noir that was produced in hot, inland town and not near the coast, where the best pinot grapes are normally grown. It was so tart and so full of tannins...it was just disgusting! I had to throw it out.

About Pinot Noir... In our state, Pinot Noir grapes are grown in California coastal valleys, where the night time ocean mists and cooler temperatures prevail in the evenings, but in the daytime, it's sunny and warm. It is this unique weather pattern that creates the best conditions for growing this grape. (BTW, Pinot Noir is also one of the grapes used in making "Champagne style" sparkling wines.) When buying a Pinot Noir wine, look to see where it was made and the grapes grown. (Winemakers will buy grapes from other places to round out their recipes, but don't worry too much about that.) Two of the most famous California regions are the Santa Rita Hills, near Santa Ynez and the Anderson Valley, near Mendocino. Personally, I would avoid buying any Pinot that was grown and produced inland, where it is hotter and dryer. Also try to avoid asking your DH to buy the wine. After all of these years, he's still clueless. What can I say, he's a beer drinker.