View Single Post
Old 11-17-2023, 10:19 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

I vaguely remember my Mom using "real rubber" - or was it latex - diaper covers on my baby sisters.

I think it was during the same era as the playtes "living girdles" that were rubber or latex.

(1950 - 1955)

Or the three types of diaper fabric available when my kids were babies (1960-1969) , there were the long gauze rectangle, the gauze prefolds, flannel, and birdseye cotton.

My preference was the long gauze rectangles.

Don't remember much about the safety pins- except that the bigger ones were easier to handle, and the novelty ones were a bother.

The kids Dad did a much better job of diapering the munchkins than I did. He could make them stay up on the kids. He was not very enthusiastic about the job at first, but his older brother was a good example and showed him that it was okay for men to change the baby.

As far as using my hair to lubricate a diaper pin - I don't think I heard about that. Soap, probably. One could always stick the pin in a jar of vaseline for another alternative.

What did people use for leaky babies before cloth was available?

When my kids were babies, I had a wringer washing machine - was totally thrilled that I could fill the tub with a hose and drain it into a floor drain. My Mom had to carry water to her wringer machine and laundry tubs and then carry the water out.So wash DAY for her was a whole day process. It was for my MIL, too.

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-17-2023 at 10:23 AM.