View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 08:00 AM
OurWorkbench

Default December 2023 - Colorado Sewing Machine Get-Together - Part 2

loraineb4_img_0035.jpg

loraineb4_img_0036.jpg

While Courtney has been traveling, he was able to send a note.

Courtney
This report will have to be short as Connie and I are on the road. I do have some things you might help me with. I have been asked to be the introductory speaker for a quilt show in Pueblo in early April. I am trying to come up with an interesting topic. If any of you have some ideas I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Over vacation I got an email from an old friend asking about sewing machines for blind people. I wrote back saying I had never thought about it but would do a bit of research and get back to him. The question came from his son so I have no idea if he is interested in a sewing machine for someone totally blind or someone with some degree of seeing impairment and is legally blind. Here was the exact question: “Is there any sewing machine you would recommend for someone who's legally blind? Something that could be threaded more easily than most?” I have never found the automatic threaders on machines easy for a sighted person to use. I did do a quick internet search and found some sites that talked about sewing machines for the blind. Some talked about automatic needle threaders while others talked about hand held needle threaders. If you have any personal comments I would love to hear them. When I get home I have a few machines that have automatic needle threaders and I purchased a couple of hand held needle threaders so I am going the do some experimenting!
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and that Christmas preparations are going well.
Courtney

Dorothy responded to Courtney's contribution.

Dorothy

I have been fascinated by Sewing for the blind since a school was set up in Eau Claire WI in late 70's.
On a more current subject and not for the individual - there was (are) factory set up for the blind to sew. There is a lot of automation in the set up and sew which both sighted or non-sighted have to use to make the cost needed. The plant I reviewed was sewing the multiple web straps found on military items. The automation will spread the web across the item and bartack in place at selected intervals. The company was very forward in being an employer in the region (Texas) that was partially owned by the blind.
I would recommend a machine that allowed attachments like hemmers, edge guides, etc depending on what will be sewed.
Dorothy

As Christmas draws near, we would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
See you next year.