View Single Post
Old 12-09-2023, 06:50 AM
DonnaReMe

Default FIRST quilt, need a little advice

I've quilted many small items - table runners, placemats, hot pads, tote bags, that kind of thing - but I've never made a quilt of any size until now. It is basted and ready to quilt, and I figure straight line quilting is the safest bet for a first attempt (I DON'T want to pay to have it done on a longarm, the whole point to me is DIY)

I don't have my pictures loaded up on a photo sharing site, so I can't post them, but it is the pattern Super Zig and I added a 3" border.

My main question is whether it matters if I DON'T quilt the border. I just don't see any way that would look nice with straight lines on it. My batting says 4"-6" so it seems like that would be fine.

And also, I'd like suggestions on HOW to do the quilting. I could stitch in the ditch around every single block (which sounds tedious). Or since the quilt is constructed with diagonal rows, I could stitch in the ditch on the row seams and then come back with lines going down the middle of the zigzags and across (horizontal and vertical against the diagonal lines)

I'm not wanting to be super ambitious here, I am just wanting to get it DONE!

Last edited by DonnaReMe; 12-09-2023 at 07:00 AM.