View Single Post
Old 12-12-2023, 11:00 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Default Memory Items from Old Ties??

Hello Everyone!
I am looking for both inspiration and advice on the How To's of working with old ties for memory tribute items.

The backstory ... after donating some quilty items to the church Christmas bazaar, one of the ladies has asked me to make something with her husband's ties. Her first thoughts are a pillow, but open to ideas. My normal answer is no, to such a request, as I don't like the pressure of doing something that may not turn out to another's ideals. Especially when working with treasured items from a much-loved deceased person.

But I really did appreciate the man ... a sweet soul, with a goofy sort of personality, who always could put a positive spin on things and make you smile and laugh, and who was much loved by many. His "trademark" was that he was always immaculately dressed, including an unique tie with a story to go with it!! For sure, the overall tie project definitely is quite fitting with that direct link to him.

So, here I am considering saying yes towards honouring this man ... but I have not shared that possibility at this point. And won't until I am really sure that I want to get involved.

So, please do share ...
* inspiration ... photos of things you (or others) have made with old ties
* tips and tricks in working with old ties
* and please be sure to include ... lessons learned!! In other words, what not to do!!
* links that may be of help to me

IF I say yes, I want to go into this, well prepared to feel good about it, through to a nicely finished item, to be treasured. Definitely I do not want to get into it and say "why oh why?" .... and have a hard time finishing it.

PLEASE? and THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-12-2023 at 11:04 AM.