View Single Post
Old 12-12-2023, 12:15 PM
Iceblossom

A number of years ago, I made an "Ugly Tie" crazy quilt using primarily big ugly 1970s poly ties I got from thrift stores with wild textures and designs. I also had a bag of nice conservative silk ties from a friend's grandfather. For the conservative silk ties, traditional foundation pieced options like log cabin, spiderweb, or similar options are good. They were narrow and not much color range.

Downside to working with ties -- they are dirty even when they don't look like it. You should "gut" the ties removing the filling and was them before use. There is usually an easy to remove seam up the back of the tie, the filling was often sewn in. The poly ties washed pretty good! I was surprised. Because of the folds, you often don't get much usable fabric other than what you can see on the front.

Have attached a picture of the Ugly Tie quilt which turned out to be a favorite of my son. Picture was taken after maybe 10 years of heavy use. I put all the washed ties in a big black plastic bag, and then without looking grabbed 10 to put in a small lunch bag (again without looking). I had to use at least some of each tie per block. Some of the fabrics I expected to wear out didn't -- and some the fabrics I thought would hold up fell apart but I still had the foundation backing to hold everything together. It had a really great/horrible doubleknit as a back and I tied the blocks about every 6" with a heavy thread.

Attached Thumbnails ugly-tie.jpg