Old 01-14-2024, 08:23 AM
WesternWilson

I wonder if the guild is missing an opportunity here! You could definitely hold a larger retreat at a bigger venue. If your regulars want to gather at the old venue for a private retreat (not one held though the guild) I would do that.

Not only will the larger retreat generate a bigger profit, but it will go a long way to integrating new members, even if they are not meeting-goers, into the guild and build relationships. Once they make friends in the guild, they are far more likely to attend meetings, volunteer and just generally lend a hand.

One of the enduring problems in one guild I attend has been exclusivity and cliques. Some members have been "more equal" than others and it has turned off many quilters, who find the guild cold and unwelcoming. If you limit access to guild events, you will accidentally, and perhaps for the best reasons, create an atmosphere of exclusivity and clique-i-ness.

Others have made excellent points about day vs. night meetings, and the limitations many of us face in terms of attending weekend events, events during business hours, events that are not in some way accessible. Guilds need to think about events that appeal to particular demographics, and come up with a suite of events that has "something for everyone".

Our guild mission now is to welcome people in and make events as inclusive as we possibly can. A bigger tent! And a far more positive energy.

Last edited by WesternWilson; 01-14-2024 at 08:26 AM.