View Single Post
Old 01-20-2024, 12:25 PM
sschick

Default Help - Singer 201-2 Skipping Stitches

Hi All, I am working on a special non-quilting project for my favorite aunt. She has asked me to make her a stuffed teddy bear from a mink stole that was my uncle's grandmother's. This bear will ultimately go to her sister-in-law. I have been having an issue with Mable (my singer 201-2) when sewing the pieces. I am not sure what the problem is. It is skipping stiches or just not sewing in places. It sews fine on a test quilt sandwich, perfect stitching on that. The bear pieces are real fur with some cotton interfacing so it is rather thick and I am basting the pieces together with scotch tape. I am trying not to sew real fast, and it mostly does it when I turn a corner, which is happens a lot if you think of what a stuffed bear looks like. So when I notice this, I just take it over to Ernestine (my Singer 66 treadle) and fix the problem spot by hand cranking. I am not sure if I should loosen or tighten the presser foot adjustment on the 201. I don't think it is a tension issue since it does sew good stitches most of the time on the piece. I know this isn't really a quilting question, but I was hoping someone might have an idea to try. If not, then I can just use the treadle and sew the pieces together by hand cranking.

Shari