View Single Post
Old 02-02-2024, 08:19 AM
JustGail

My vote is for a hard surface.
I have a low pile commercial type carpet, and while it looks mostly...OK*, it's not as easy to clean. I don't have a lot of space to maneuver a vacuum, a small dust mop would be easier and get into the nooks and crannies better. I can't hear when I drop small things, pins hide on it, threads stick to it, and it can be difficult to move the chairs while seated. The chair mat developed divots that made it impossible to move my chair that last inch to the most comfortable spot. Though to be fair, that might not be an issue if one of those glass, bamboo, or super-heavy duty plastic mats are used, not the cheaper one I had.

* the carpet is 20 years old, BUT - the first 16 years I was still working so it didn't get nearly as much use as it has in the last 4 yeas since I retired. It is showing wear in the doorway, and at the desk and sewing machine.
And I have to wonder "carpet saleslady"...perhaps she has an interest in steering you toward carpet (commission from that department, etc.). And IMHO, no carpet is easily cleaned if/when it needs more than a vacuuming.