View Single Post
Old 02-03-2024, 08:24 AM
MeadowMist

Default Prewashing jelly rolls

I prewash my fabric to shrink before working on it, as well as to get out some of the dye. For this reason I usually buy yardage and fat quarters and occassionally layer cakes. I know that fabric shrinks more one way than the other (either crosswise or lengthwise, can't remember which, not that which way makes a difference) and that affects things. I have a pattern I want to make with a jelly roll but am very wary that prewashing will skew the fabric too much and too much will be lost with raveling so the fabric will no longer be sized the way it needs to be. If I don't prewash or presoak or pre anything what can I expect after washing the quilt the first time (in warm or hot water) after it is completed? Will the shrinking and skewing ruin the quilt? This quilt is a gift for a young man who will probably toss the quilt in the washer with everything else when it comes time to wash it so giving him directions on how to wash won't do much good. Plus I like to give them a final wash before gifting.