View Single Post
Old 02-27-2024, 05:09 AM
WMUTeach

Hi all, I thought it was time I posted about my home town too. After you visit Rebaquilts, drive east about an hour and you will find my home town. Keep driving another hour east and you will find Logcabin82. Tee-Hee-Hee. And we did not even know each other until the Birthday Swap.

Yes, I am ready to boast about being in the fruit belt area. Fresh apples, peaches, berries, grapes, cherries, pears, and bedding plants and flowers are in abundance. The BIG lake provides so much fine weather that this is an ideal place for growing things. Many farmer's markets, some year around, sell fruits and veggies from asparagus to organic meats, wines, and everything in between. No matter where you are in Michigan, it is a pretty good bet that if you go 5 miles in any direction you will find water; a stream, lake, marsh, pond etc. My area is just the same. The city is on the junction of several Native American trails and rivers that were formed a valley after the glaciers left. Those same trails lead from winter to summer camping grounds. Yes, our Native residents liked summer near the lake just like we do. There they could fish and gather wild berries and escape mosquitoes.

In the 19th and 20th century this little town became a city of small industry because of the river's supply of water power. Kalamazoo Sled company, Checker Motors, and multiple paper large paper companies supported our residents and polluted our rivers but have now cleaned them up to a pristine level. Later, Upjohn Pharmaceuticals became a major employer. It is now called Pfizer (covid vaccine) and employs thousands of folks from cleaners to bio-medical researchers. We have 4 colleges and universities and are often considered a college town with all its little ethnic eaterys, sports teams, the vitality of students and an international population. The city has an abundance of arts venues and presentations from Broadway touring companies to local theater, galleries, artist workshops, and dance companies. We are the home of the Kalamazoo Promise and Bell's Brewery. Think of Chicago or New York shrunk down to 260,000 people. A pretty nice place to live.

Now after all of that, I live in a city just south, we share a border and heritage. My town has no city center, no downtown. It was planned that way. Two high schools, and 12 elementary/middle schools, wonderful bike and walking trails, 20 parks with fishing to kayaking to swimming to ice skating outdoors. Where to eat? It all depends on what you have a taste for. Asian, Indian, upscale or soup and crusty bread. My current favorites are Centre Street Tap House and Hunan Gardens. But give me a moment and I will change my mind....again.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 02-27-2024 at 05:12 AM.