View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024, 05:16 AM
Brenda W

Default 2024 Birthday Candy Swap

Good morning fellow quilters! I've enjoyed reading all about your hometowns! As for me, I lived most of my life in Akron, Ohio. Many may know it as the home of The Soap Box Derby! In High School our Marching Band performed marching down tge steep hill in ceremonies that proceeded the races. Young people from near and far built their cars and competed in the races. Akron was also home to the Rubber Factories; Firestone Tire and Rubber, Akron General Tire and Rubber that later became known as Continental Tire, Goodrich Tire and Rubber, and Goodyear Tire and Rubber. Although most have moved their production elsewhere, many of the buildings were repurposed and remain. Many of you may have seen The Goodyear Blimp flying in your skies! It is a sight to see when you're standing next to it! The Blimp and other Dirigibles were built in the Hanger adjacent to The Akron Municipal Airport. Akron University has consumed much of the downtown area with E J Thomas Hall Performing Arts Center. The Quaker Oats Silos were repurposed into quaint shopping, hotel and dining experiences, but is now dormitories for University students. When I was in High School with windows open late afternoon, you could get the aroma of oats roasting (smelled like popcorn) and bread baking at The Wonderbread Factory close by. Stan Hywet is an Estate built by the Seiberling Family in 1918, I believe. There are beautiful gardens to walk through and you can tour the mansion. Later the Carriage House became the home to the Founder of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Time changes so many things, but I will always have fond memories of growing up in Akron.
I'm now living in Winter Park, Florida which is a town just North of Orlando. All of you know that Orlando is home to Mickey and Minnie Mouse; Disneyworld, Epcot, Universal and SeaWorld. Much to do, if one chooses to visit the parks.