View Single Post
Old 04-07-2024, 09:28 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Default ironing board cover material

I recently moved a 68" x 18" dresser into my quilt room where the ironing board used to stand, and I'm in the process of making it into an ironing/pressing station. I started with a piece of 3/4" plywood that's 72" x 20", and I wrapped it in two layers of Warm & White batting. Now I need to add a cover. I plan to make it like a pillowcase that fits tightly over the board and batting, so the board can be flipped over if one side gets dirty, and the cover can be removed to be washed if necessary.

My options for fabric for the ironing board cover are cotton duck/canvas (left over from when I made leaders for my longarm) or bleached or unbleached muslin. The cotton duck would be sturdier, but it could be harder to get a good fit. I'd like to use whichever would make the better ironing surface. I don't know which that would be, but I'm leaning toward the cotton duck.

Any recommendations based on your experience? I guess I could make one side out of the cotton duck and the other side from muslin...