View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 09:03 AM
OurWorkbench

Default April 2024 Colorado Sewing Machine Get-Together - Part 2

Courtney continued

Sorry All. I hit send too soon on the last post and hadn't included the last picture of the 115 with a handcrank.
Courtney

courtney-x115.jpg

Dianne

Dianne tells about a machine that she hasn't used for a while to make some crumb blocks.

MS Word seems to not work anymore, so here is my report:

In March a Superba D sewing machine by Wertheim was pulled out for some exercise. My notes say it was purchased in 2009, and last used in 2012. This is a lovely machine, with MOP (abalone shell) on the bed and plentiful gold detailing. It is similar to the Singer 48k, technically a high-arm transverse shuttle machine. Actual date of manufacture seems to be sometime between 1890 and 1910. The machine has a serial number of S6873727. It uses 12x1 needles, so extensive use is not planned. I do have a supply of those needles, but also several other machines that use them and so do not want to run through my supply. That said, when first received and being ignorant about needles, I found it was possible to work this machine with 15x1 needles…….not easy, but possible. The machine needed lots of cleaning. The open shuttle looked challenging, but it proved straightforward, although it does involve threading through a very small opening. Several abalone chips were gone, and replaced with thin inlay shell purchased, by the square inch, on eBay. Looking at it no, I cannot determine which chips were replaced and which are original.

The machine’s wood base is drilled for a treadle, so it might have been convertible between treadle and hand crank operation.

While dusting and oiling, all seemed well until it was observed that the bobbin winder tire had perished. It looked quite new, but my notes don’t mention replacing that before. A drawer search found some tires intended for the Singer 12 machine, and they fit and work except for being a bit too large. They don’t slip, but the winder runs all the time, as the adjustment for it is very small between turning and not turning. As the tire isn’t as tight as usual, it could be removed when the bobbin winder is not in use. Another rediscovery is that the stop motion knob does not function. Not wanting to force it unduly or disassemble the machine, that is how it was returned to the shelf after sewing most of 30 mile-a-minute crumb blocks for a small quilt. This is a lovely machine, and I hope to have more time to address these problems in the future.

Dianne

dianne-superba-d-1front.jpg

dianne-superba-d-2nose.jpg

dianne-superba-d-3bobbin.jpg

dianne-superba-d-4bobbin-tiny-hole.jpg

to be continued...