View Single Post
Old 05-15-2024, 09:29 AM
Iceblossom

Still working on organization issues in the new house but progress made today. During the process of moving, I would say "I'm going from a full room to a closet worth of fabric". So here's a look at what that means. I wanted storage out of direct light and the house as a whole had a lack of storage. The downstairs was just a large open space. I had two closets built, in perfect world I would have been able to put in (2) 48" sets of shelves, but I was just under that in available space due to the doorway into the former family/now sewing room. I didn't want built in shelving because I want there to be flexibility moving forward in what goes in there. My overall goal is to use up fabric and not have space for more and more -- as tempting at that may be.

One thing I didn't take into consideration was how much space the folding doors took in the opening. I hadn't planned on needing to roll the storage. Yes the totes stack and maybe I didn't need shelves but it seems that whatever tote I want to look in is always at the bottom of the stack and I wanted shelves.

Today we put the super heavy duty rolling casters on the shelving unit -- it would have been easier to put them on when we built the shelves but I was feeling dimensionally challenged at the time and wasn't sure we would have enough height clearance. It wasn't that hard to put them on today and whew! what a relief to find that it can still roll in and out just fine. Not a lot of top clearance but enough. When we weighed the fabric before moving we found a full tote was about 30 pounds. We could have probably gotten away with casters rated for a 500 pound load but I decided to over-engineer and go with the next size up which is a 2k limit!

You might notice that I didn't put the top shelf on the top of the unit. Couple of reasons for that, one being that I have short arms and can't reach that high, the other being I wanted to keep things on the shelf and not have to clear off the top if I wanted to slide the unit out of the closet instead of just side to side in the closet. It is a heavy load but I am able to roll it ok with a little ooomph!

Picture 1 shows the built closets and one of the few pieces of furniture I moved. Not sure if the credenza will stay there, I have a more usable size/height/depth table and will either need the credenza to store my collection of dishes, or buy a hutch, or get rid of dishes...

Picture 2 shows the shelves with fabric totes -- yay me! And thanks to the hubby that helped.