Old 03-12-2010, 06:55 AM
gaigai
Banned

Originally Posted by Andii
Hi Gaigai. I've noticed community benefactor on several people's info block what does that mean? Do you donate a lot of quilts? I love to read as well and have been dabbling in geneaology...how do you Ever get past all of the pay sites when you're trying to look up free public records :?: I recently found out something about my dad that I'm trying to follow up on but the sites always lead to adds for "helpful" sites. Rrrrrrr...you might recognize those letters as a low growl since you have so many fur babies. I too love animals.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.
Hi Andi! Click on the words "community benefactor" under a name, and it gives a detailed description of what it is.

As for genealogy, oh dear, that's too big a subject to address here, but basically you can NOT do it online. Not if you are going to do it correctly. While there are more and more actual documents being scanned and made available online, in the big scheme of things these are still very limited, and the best way is still to use the Mormon Family History Centers, go to actual court houses or one of the bigger libraries that have established genealogy collections. Although even smaller counties usually have a library with local records, so if you are lucky enough to be researching in the same state you live it, you can check out those. Even with the paid sites (Ancestry, etc) you will need to follow the above steps if you are doing correct DOCUMENTED research. Good luck, and if you have any other questions, you can PM me.

Welcome again to the board!!