View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 AM
omak

Originally Posted by Sparky
I did suggest each contributing a block for a quilt. I 'm not too familiar with the QOV program but I believe they accept tops and have additional volunteers who are long arm quilters. I'm not sure how many blocks we would be able to get from our group, but we could ask on the board for others to contribute a block.
I don't have any experience in this, and realized when I looked at my stash, I don't even have appropriate fabrics. Wow another reason to go shopping.
As far a block size I was thinking fairly large 10 or 12 inch. What would you suggest? I was thinking of some star block pattern. Should the blocks all be different patterns or not?
I'm not promising to have it done by the 28th as I have lots going on right now.
May I make a suggestion? QOV is a good organization for teaching and encouraging quilters to reach out to USA veterans.
However, I know for a fact that if you live in America, you are living, surrounded by veterans. As a member of the American Legion Auxiliary, it is a source of frustration to me (and, it might just be a personal problem) that local quilters are gung ho to send a quilt out of their community or state into some other place at a large expense to themselves.
There are long arm quilters for QOV ... and they would like you to send them money for shipping the completed quilt to someone else for distribution ... and, they would like you to include the batting, the backing, and the binding ... and for a small fee, they will put a label on the back of the quilt with your names as piecers ...
When you take resources from your community, whether it is product or $$ ... to do something for someone, when the someone is probably living right next door to you ... it frustrates me (and, again, I am saying: It might just be a personal problem for myself) ...

If the best your group can do is to create a quilt top or gather blocks, I will personally donate to the cause by providing the flannel backing, the binding, AND the quilting and batting (since this is what I do for veterans) ... and, I will locate an American Legion Post/Auxiliary in your area who can make sure a local veteran receives the benefit of your appreciation and talent.
But, please .... think locally in your generosity ... imagine all the different communities we will be having these open houses ... and, imagine the impact a group of friends can have to thank those who put their lives on the line so that we have been able to enjoy the freedoms we have.
And, one more thing ... as one military wife noted: If you make the quilt too Red, White, and Blue, the veteran will feel that they are being buried under a flag ... and, they will be reluctant to use the quilt/lap robe/throw because flag etiquette is the most definitive act of patriotism these soldiers observe ...
In America, the lives we live, the beauty we observe are all testaments to the veterans who have provided safety and security and almost EVERY color style and quilt theme speaks of the bounty of our nation .... your gift of the laprobe, combined with your unique expression of joy in building a quilt block from fabrics you enjoy ... that is TOTALLY acceptable to our American veterans, and very much appreciated AND enjoyed. <wave>