View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I believe that the copyright is more along the design aspect unless its a true NEW block. A lot of blocks have resurfaced and adapted to a certain color scheme, etc. I don't know if you can copywrite a pattern that originally came out in the 1800's for free?
This is a question that keeps coming up, and I think it's because we don't have specific terminology to refer to a design (by which I mean specific blocks with or without a layout) vs. a pattern (by which I mean a printed or digital description that shows and/or describes those blocks and possibly tells how to make them). (Those are my definitions, for now.)

Let's say that I write out instructions for making a quilt using just rectangles and flying geese. I obviously can't copyright the blocks themselves. Let's say the layout I describe is just alternating blocks, so I can't copyright the layout. However - my pattern itself, consisting of my original instructions (including any pictures of my quilts that I put in the pattern), is under copyright protection. And it doesn't matter whether I "published" the pattern.

Now anyone can still make a quilt using alternating blocks of rectangles and flying geese, and anyone can write up her own instructions to make it, and she can sell her own instructions as a pattern, or give them away, but she cannot copy MY pattern (no matter how unoriginal the contents are) without my permission.