View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Welcome one and all!! We are going to have fun with this project!! I hope you come along for the ride!!

We are going to make a 8" x 2 1/2" bookmark using my cut down method and my Drunkard's Path block.

You will need:

A 1 1/2" acrylic template - email me for one or pm me
4- 2" cardboard circles - I will explain this shortly
4 - hand sewing needles and thread
Mini mat and rotary cutter
Sewing machine
Thread of your choice of color
2 Rulers - preferably smaller ones
Scissors
Seam ripper

Fabric:
2 dark 4" squares or swatches
2 light 4" squares or swatches
2 dark 3" squares or swatches
2 light 3" squares or swatches

1 1/2" x 8" strip dark(border)
1 1/2" x 3 1/2" strip dark(border)
8" x 3" dark (backing)

I don't use any batting as I want it to lay as flat as possible.

Template

If you don't have one send me an email at [email protected] or pm me with your postal address.

Cardboard Circles

You will need to find thin to med thin cardboard for the circle templates. You can use a compass or find something around the house to trace around. I found my vitamin bottle works to trace around the bottom of the bottle and I get a 2" circle.
I have found you can use cardboard from products you buy like pop or anything that comes in a cardboard carrier. I have used the backs of notebooks or shoeboxes work well. I wouldn't use anything that is slick.
As I like to leave my circles overnight to dry I like to make as many circles as I need rather than using them over again but that is your call. So I would make 4 of them in this case.

Rulers

Now I use a 2" x 9" ruler(s) I bought the Draftncut 18" x 2" ruler and cut it in half with a circular saw or jig saw.

I can provide rulers for you without the numbers using the same grid I put on the templates. These will only be available for anyone taking this class.

The reason for 2 rulers is because I but one up against the other to find the center of the circle and to position the ruler for the best center cut.

Ok I may think of something I have forgotten to add but this is the best list I can give you for now!!

Drunkard's Path Bookmark - Chess Pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6348[/ATTACH]

This is what I see when I say it looks like chess pieces to me. I circled them in red.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6351[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-6348.jpe   attachment-6351.jpe