View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM
b.zang

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
I think I understand the copyright of the pattern itself. I have a question about the quilt I make from said pattern. Can I sell a quilt made from a copyrighted pattern?

Thanks
My understanding is that if you own a pattern, you have the right to make quilts from that pattern, and since you own those quilts you can sell them. (This wouldn't extend to mass production.) But I would be interested in hearing if someone has information to the contrary. I know that when my guild wanted to make a raffle quilt from a pattern in a magazine they asked for permission first (which may not have been necessary, but it was nice anyway).
We had quite a discussion about this where you might find more information. Check out:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-12228-1.htm

This topic came up the last time I was in a LQS. I had a quilt top with me to show, said the pattern name and the owner ran to her computer to look it up. She couldn't find it except in a book, which led her to lecture me about buying pirated patterns. (I got the name wrong but didn't realize it until later. The pattern is not pirated!) Anyhow, she had quite a story about a designer who is like a bulldog about protecting her copyright and had sued someone my LQS owner knew. I could understand her sensitivity about this matter, and think that anyone who has been involved in this, would be good to listen to.