Old 04-02-2007, 04:42 PM
zyxquilts

From Norah's comment in "The first quilt I made was...." topic, about people who don't appreciate quilts...
Way back when I first started quilting, we did a log cabin Christmas tree wallhanging in my quilt class. I thought, "This is terrific! A quilt small enough that I can actually make some for Christmas presents!" It was a fairly simple pattern, cream tone on tone background, green tree, brown tree trunk. Used Christmas prints, red & gold border, then tied some tiny ornaments on with some cream colored, skinny satin Offray ribbon. I thought they came out pretty cool! Gave one to my sister, she LOVED it (isn't it great to have creative sisters! :-) ). Gave the other one to my Stepmom for her & Dad's new 'snowbird' house in AZ. I thought she liked hers too, Dad loved it (he's a retired carpenter & can appreciate straight lines, lol, and HIS Grandmother was a quilter). Like I said, I
thought she liked it...until one day, when Dad brought me some boxes of things that had been my Grandma's, for my sisters & I....and I found some of the things wrapped in that wall hanging!!! :hunf: Nice, huh? Also, in between when I gave her the wallhanging & this happening, she asked me to make her 2 identical twin bed quilts (big enuf for a full drop to the floor) in fall colors. I am NOT a fall color kinda gal, so it was tough. When I finished them (and I think she expected they would be a week's work), she accepted them from me....then tried to give them to my aunt! (I took them back & donated them to the local YWCA battered women's shelter) ahhh well, all's well that ends well. Live & learn.
Thanks for letting me vent! :D

sue