View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 AM
lots2do

First of all - apologies to the person here that I gave this idea to. Second of all- I learned this way about fifteen years ago and still have a bit of hero-worship surrounding the person who taught me this way.

So, I am working on a quilt challenge that is due soon. I used the freezer paper ironed on the applique letters, gluestick the edges under, pin to background, stitch around with YLI silk thread. I also used my new Bohn ceramic pencil to mark the line for my letters to 'sit' on.

Time to slit the back and remove the freezer paper. It's hanging on like a bear. I forget the trick to moisten it for release. I am tugging that stuff out. (This was yesterday). Gave up. Today, decided to erase the little green line and accidentally tugged on one of the letters. (Green not coming out as easily as I'd like so I did get a little aggressive). The silk thread snapped. :(. Moistened the remaining letter. That paper slipped right out but left a gooey mess from the glue stick I used.

I had already reread a section of my Quilter's Ultimate Visual Guide and had decided to try the freezer paper up application. I think this will be salvage-able. But, BOY, someone once told me if you learn one new thing from a project, you are doing well. I am batting a thousand on this one. Good thing I really like what I'm doing. (Yes, I'll post a picture when finished).

For now, it's time to take a break and come back with refreshed eyes.

Thanks for 'listening'!
lots2do