Old 04-02-2007, 06:25 PM
june6995

I half way expected something else, rather than what you wrote. What I heard you say is that some people have no idea how much work goes into a quilt. therefore, they do not value the part of you that you put into making the quilt. As a Mother, I am thrilled that my 2 non-sewing daughters value the quilts I have made for them. I feel your pain that you were not valued and appreciated for the time (and talent) that went in to making the quilts.

Now, on the other side, probably because of my age, I have had a bit of a problem understanding how a wall hanging can be a quilt. My personal definition of a quilt is a "cover" for on a bed. Wall hangings and place mats are items to be quilted, but for me, they do not qualify as a quilt.

Now I know I have just stirred the Hornet's nest, but I think I can take it. We all have our personal preferences in many areas, and quilting is one. Many years ago I thought a quilt had to be made by hand, so I had resigned myself to never making a quilt, until dear Eleanor Burns came on my TV screen and showed me they can be made by machine. She truly liberated me from that old idea. So who knows, maybe I will be liberated from the idea that a quilt it something to sleep under in the winter time so our slumber is cozy and peaceful.

Words from an old lady who enjoys making and giving quilts to keep people warm and cozy!... June in Cincinnati