Old 03-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Oh, my!

Today UPS brought me my very own sample swatch fan for Hoffman's Bali Watercolors... and this is going to be my favorite new toy!

It has 32 long skinny strips of posterboard, each with 8 little swatches of named Batik samples. Plus three supplements... that's 280 swatches and it's just dazzling to see.

It's four pages of pink, and five lavender... then five blue and two teal, five of green and three of neutrals that are hard shades to describe and...

Help!!

And now I'm supposed to choose some for the store. Where do I begin? How do I select them?

Maybe I should ask it this way. If you were starting from scratch, building a stash of batiks, what would you reach for? One color family? A rainbow of brights? Subtle tones? Some of each?

One of our staff suggested sticking primarily to the watery blue-green-purple tones, as the batiks themselves look watery.

Quilters, what do you think? I'm REALLY confused and badly in need of advice! There's just too much to choose from. (Serves me right for requesting a color fan...)