View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 07:10 AM
june6995

I did not stop to read all the posts but I do have a question:

has anyone made a visit to the dumpster at the back of the store???

Many people get plants for their gardens from the dumpsters. And a TV program told of a new group of people who don't buy groceries but make a habit of checking dumpsters to see what they can salvage.

There is no shame in taking things that are thrown away. We have become a very wasteful society. It is common knowlege that many Flea Market sellers drive the street the day of trash pick up and if there is no ordinance to prevent it, they take what is set out for the trash and sell it. Times are a changing and people are getting to be creative.

About 20 years ago my daughter and i went to an estate sale. It was very crowded so we sat in the car a while. I noticed a row of garbage cans that had some items on top. One was an old portable radio and the other was an occilating fan. The homeowner was sitting on her porch, so I went over and asked if she meant to throw these items away. She said "Yes" and told me to take whatever I wanted. I took home an old Crosley radio (Crosley was made in Cincinnati) and an old table fan. Both worked and we gave the radio to the oldest member of our family who thought we had found a great treasure.

The old saying "one man's junk is another man's teasure has come to mean a whole lot these days."

Let's all go dumpster diving and see what we can find!!! Don't be hanging around too long and get picked up by the dump truck!

June in Cincinnati