Thread: Inspiration
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 AM
sirstitchalot

Questions are fine and I appreciate the interest :-D

It was made sometime before 1965. Thats the year I was born and I can remember grandmothers quilting frame leaning against the wall behind the kitchen door but I never saw it in action. my great-grandmother passed away around that time and I'm not sure whether this is her work, grandmothers work, or a group of church lady friends are even a combination of any or all. It was hidden away in the cedar chest with the others until I inherited them.
Whether it's a bouteonniere, rising star,or texas star pattern pick your pleasure I suppose it fits each of these catagories. The blocks are 3and1/4" hexagons or the indvidual diamonds are 1 and 1/2" long and 3/4" wide at the points.
Hard to say if it was machine stitched or hand sewn with such small pieces I would think by hand- but either way it was done VERY well as some/most hand stiching is pretty easy to spot.
It was finished by a lady with along arm machine who wanted me to have it hand quilted - But at the time it was finished time was an issue- so an ill relative could have use of it during their battle with ALS. Its return home to me was bittersweet to say the least.