Old 03-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Lisanne

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Lisanne; Planned obsolesence was actually coined and employed during 1920s when manufacturing of crap or stuff really took off as did buying things, especially appliances, on credit. You need for things to become obsolete to keep the demand for your struff to remain high along with your profit margin. Sorry but I have a minor in American history.
I had written:
-- products made to last (though I believe "planned obsolescence" started in the '50s)
Thanks, Chris, for setting me straight! No apology needed. As you can see, I wrote "I believe..." - I wasn't actually sure when it had started.

That said, that whole idea of keeping us all spending has only gotten worse in recent years. Things we used to buy are now offered on a lease or subscription basis. Cars are leased, TV can't even be watched without cable if you want reception, etc. Customer service and support on the products you buy used to be considered part of the purchase, but now you must pay extra and even when you do, the service is often from someone in a third-world country... (sorry, that was leading to a rant.)