View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 PM
shaverg

I was just wondering if any of you have trouble with the needle going through certain types of fabric. I just finished an all batik applique and I am trying to echo quilt around the rings. It is like quilting through 5 layers instead of 3 or worse. I have hand quilted for 27 years and never had this problem. It is definitely not the batting, although I started a while back using cotton instead of polyester. When I tried to needle the batik on its own, it is very dense. I can just get 2 stitches on my needle, usually I quilt about 10-12 to the inch, I have bent needles, I am determined to finish it. All the batiks are Hoffman and some are Mckenna Ryan. It is just wierd. I was really looking forward to hand quilting this, because it has no seams to quilt through. I thought this would go fast, boy was I wrong, it is taking me longer than any quilt I have ever done.

I have also tried 3 different brands of between needles.

I have had this problem before with some backing I bought from JoAnns, and some fabric that had metallic in the print,but never even thought I could have a problem with a hoffman.

I am not machine quilting this so don't even suggest it. :lol: :roll: