View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by granny5
I'm pretty new to quilting. . . what do you use starch on and why? What am I missing? I am hooked on quilting and love to read all the "how to's" I can get my hands on, but have not read anything about using starch on quilting fabric. Help an old dog out who is trying to learn new tricks.
If you do a search on "starch" on this forum (see blue option in header), I'm sure you will find a lot of threads that discuss its uses. Starch stabilizes fabric so it doesn't stretch and distort while you are working with it.

I use the heavy starching described in this thread for quilt backings and for bindings. Starched backings prevent puckers in the backing when I machine quilt. Starched binding keeps its shape and doesn't stretch when I am sewing it on. I also starch flannel fabrics heavily before cutting if I am piecing a top out of flannel -- makes piecing flannel much more accurate.

Many people use spray starch as they piece tops. I usually don't, but then I don't prewash my fabrics and there is some stiffness in them from the factory -- enough for my piecing needs, anyway. Plus I am a real klutz with spray starch.