View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 05:45 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I've been quilting for a couple years now and honestly have not put together much of a fabric "collection". I just haven't figured out how to buy fabric that doesn't have an intended purpose already. Don't get me wrong, I see TONS of fabric I like all the time, I just can never figure out how much I'm supposed to buy. But I do worry about fabrics I love now being discontinued and not finding them again.

So how much do you ladies buy of fabric that you don't have a purpose for yet? The 3 yards mentioned earlier seems like a little too much.
3 yards is about how much it takes for borders on a queen size quilt. 3 yards is about how much it takes for a great focus fabric.

I have a good size stash. I wanted to make the Orion Star Thangles quilt but didn't want to make it in the hand dyes or with the same colors in batiks because I don't like blue. The quilt takes 28 to 30 fat quarters in three colors. So I counted yellow fat quarters. I had 40 yellows. I have even more pink fat quarters. I also have the borders and binding, all in pink/orange/yellow. I ended up buying 3 orange fat quarters and the backing fabric. That's it. For a queen size quilt.

That's what a good stash will do for you.