View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 05:46 AM
peaceandjoy

Scrappy is my favorite look. Reminds me of the old fashioned ones that were made by grandma. I'm working on finishing Bonnie Hunter's Carolina Christmas. With over 2,000 pieces,it's taking me a while... Controlled scrappy in that I used reds, greens and neutrals from my stash. For ages, if I saw a fabric I liked, I'd buy a yard of it. Finally that's working out for me - I just cut a strip or two from several.

Check Bonnie's website is http://www.quiltville.com - she has lots of free patterns for scrappy quilts, as well as suggestions for getting to the point where it's easy to use your stash.

For folks having trouble jumping onto the scrappy bandwagon, here's an idea I saw quite a while ago. Take a bag of 2 1/2" squares and shake them up. Put your hand in and take out two of them, sew together. NO PEEKING, just sew whatever you grab. Sew them into 4-patch units, etc. The results were really pretty. This was done in a class, so everyone took a fairly good amount to start with and at the beginning of the day, all were dumped in together, mixed, and everyone got a bag of that mix.

I will admit, I've started stripping my stash (from the above mentioned website) and have been trying to use some 2 1/2" squares as leaders/enders, and sometimes what I grab is just not doing it for me - I can't just let go, have to have some control. I keep trying!