Thread: cutting borders
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 PM
shaverg

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy
Originally Posted by shaverg
If you tear length wise of the grain and not cross grain which is selvage to selvage, there should be no stretching. Just tear not rip and then press. It doesn't distort length wise at all or stretch the fabric.

I hate to say this but "Trust me" :lol: :shock: :roll: ;) :thumbup:
Does it matter if I leave the selvage on and then tear, then trim the selvage off? Does tear mean a slow rip? Tearing sounds to much easier than folding and cutting such a long piece of fabric accurately.I have not seen either done. I have always pieced my borders. Thank you for your responses, Cindy
Don't tear selvage to selvage, you are tearing the length I would tear the selvage on one side to get a straight edge, leaving one side still having selvage. I try to leave on the one with info, just in case I ever need more fabric. The selvage is really not that straight. So make a little cut just past one edge where you have selvage and tear, that will give you your first straight edge and then measure your border width from that first torn straight edge and start tearing your borders. Sometimes it is less than 1/2" depends on how wide your selvage is. Or you can tear a piece large enough and include the selvage and then measure from your straight torn edge to get the width you need not including the selvage. I would tear the selvage rather than trim. I hope this makes sense.

I actually thinks tearing sound better than ripping, You don't have to tear it too slow, just gently. :lol: :thumbup: