View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Quilter7x

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
I was thinking "quilt as you go" then we'd all put it together. Each one could stitch in the ditch or whatever we decide on that's easy.
Maybe I'll have to re-think that.
But the "auction" quilt could be hand quilted by the group.
Thanks.
I don't recommend quilt as you go for first time quilters since you have to be careful lining up the top, bottom and batting so it doesn't shift or get creases underneath.

You'll do fine. The absolute best place to teach your first class is at a church with church members as the students. I love the thought of having the priest do some of the sewing - maybe you could get him to make an entire 9 patch or something simple like that.

There are some great ideas here, a list of things to bring to class, having a helper (a child would be a great helper), creating folders for everyone with hand outs and samples.

Some type of design wall with each stage of the block in progress would help people see what their block is supposed to look like as they're making it. I'm a visual person, I can figure it out if I can see it rather than reading about how to do it. You can use a flannel backed tablecloth for your design wall.

Good luck! :thumbup: