View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by kkbrand
I just attended a class and the instructor told us Warm and Natural was the worst and you cannot prewash it because you will end up with stuffing in your dryer. She did recommend prewashing both fabric and batting, If you do one you have to do the other otherwise you will get uneven shrinkage in the quilt.

Try pressing the quilt with a hot iron, it might make it spring back and look a little nicer.

Actually, if you want the puckered antique look Warm and Natural is one of the best to use. That's why most folks don't prewash it. They WANT the antique look. You have to decide beforehand how you want the project to look afterwards. Are your FMQ skills and or SITD skills great? If not, Warm and Natural etc. are good choices. If you want a flatter quilt that doesn't draw up or shrink then an 80/20 or 100% poly choice are the best picks. But they tend to show the quilting stitches more... I don't stick with one batting as my desired end results differ. It all depends on what I want as a final product.

I think wool is one of the trickiest battings to use, since it will shrink so much in the dryer. I always think ahead as to who will use it and unless it were a wallhanging, I'm thinking it would be washed often. Although this was a negative experience for you, chalk it up to a learning experience. We've all had them. And will continue to have them!